Thursday, January 21, 2010

Where was I?

Twenty one years ago right now I had finally gotten a little relief (epidural YES!) and was dozing off and on. We'd been at the hospital since 5:00 AM and it was plain to see that this child we're waiting on is taking her sweet time.

Just a little under 11 hours from now at 5:55 in the morning, my baby will be 21 years old!

Today I've done a lot of reflecting - some of the funnies, some of the hurts, some of the sads, and all of the love. Renee has been a pure joy to me from the moment I realized I was pregnant. At some point in her life, but not too soon, I hope she will know the joy of being a mom and how much you can love someone.

She is a very special young woman, and that's not just because I am her mom and maybe a little prejudiced. She is thoughtful and caring about everyone she meets. She has unusual empathy for children and the elderly - the folks here where I live think she is a doll! And she is!!

It's easy for me, when I start thinking about the last 22 years, to only remember the things I did wrong or the times I should have made a better decision. Renee reminds me everyday that I did a lot of things right!!

I picked Martina McBride's song "In My Daughter's Eyes" for Renee's part of the family video Amy and Ben put together. The words of that song were never more true for any two persons than for me and Renee - I may have been an okay person before she came, but she truly rescued me and made me try everyday to be a better person. I don't know how Martina sang that song - I'm crying right now.

Renee - I love you more than you can ever imagine! Thank you for being who you are!

No comments: