Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blogging Writer's Block

I think I've suffered a bad case of that recently - I hadn't had any ideas to write about or anything I wanted to say. Things have been a little rough.

The week before Halloween I fell on the deck one morning. I'd argued with myself all morning about staying home, but it was payday and I was so broke, I thought I had to get out anyway. But, halfway across the deck I started sliding and I knew I was going down. It seemed like slow motion for sure and it didn't seem to hurt so very much, right then.

Because I was on tab warfarin and injections of Lovenox at the moment, my knees were already black with brusing by the time I got myself set up. The cell phone was gone from it's pouch on my purse, so I looked, rather nervously, over the side of the deck to see if it had hit the ground. Not seeing it, I laid myself back down, yep, I was sitting on it!

Saying a quick prayer of thanks that it hadn't gone over the deck and was still working - I called my son who was inside asleep. He came outside quickly while I sat on the deck, in the pouring rain, and covered me up with a throw I keep in the living room. Oh yeah, I had noticed my right pinky finger was broken - it looked like the zig zag road sign! so I had set it myself. Again, no pain, right then!

After surveying the situation, I decided the best way for me to get back to a standing position was to scoot myself over to the steps and let my legs hang over them, then pull myself to a standing position using the rails. Lynn stood in front of me so I wouldn't topple down the steps and spotted me after I got in a standing position so I could make the turn around and come up the three steps to the deck landing. Oh Lord, I have to try to walk across the deck again!

Lynn ran in the house and grabbed the throw rugs I use in the dining room and put them down on the deck, creating a dry and non skid surface for me to walk into the house on - where I went to my room, peeled off the wet clothes, put my gown back on, and climbed in the bed.

I did call the doctor - they said to come in!! That would have just hurt so much worse - so I didn't go. Renee did come home from work and went and got me a finger brace. After three weeks, my finger is still swolen but it is improving.

The pain did come - in major waves - between my finger, the knees and my right foot. Any lick it gets causes major bruising, etc. because of the metal plates. And, the cell phone died a couple of days later - I'm sure it's terminality started on the deck that morning!

I'm still black and blue around my knees, but it is improving too. I tell you what, I have been so very careful not to fall because it was cause significant pain and damage AND I am a big woman, getting me back upright is not an easy task. So, while it's early November I have made a vow, if it's raining or less than 30 degrees outside, I'm in - no exceptions!

Oh yeah, while I was sitting on the deck trying to figure out how to get up - the girl I work part time for called and said since it was so nasty outside and everyone else was at work, for me to stay home and inside!! They are all a great bunch and called and checked on me since I didn't make it back into work for about a week!

Glad I can laugh about it now!!

No comments: