Sunday, August 12, 2007

She's Moving Out!

Today is the day! My daughter will move this afternoon to a college dorm room - just 4 miles down the street - but under a different roof than me for the first time in her life! She's been on trips, etc. we've just never 'lived' apart.

I am not sad. I may be in a couple of days - but right now I am so excited for her. College life is a whole new experience and she's ready for it. She has a job on campus and has already been working. She has already registered for all of her classes and the books are bought.

The living room is full of stuff to go - a new refrigerator and microwave, rolling storage carts, bed clothes, pillows, linens and clothes, clothes, clothes. She has two cork boards, one fully covered with pics from high school, home and friends, the other a calendar and room for the college stuff.

It will be different around here - very quiet for sure. The biggest change for me is the lack of things I need to do - her senior year was so busy and we were always on the way to or from somewhere. Then, all of a sudden, it's over. My fall calendar does not include all the band practices, band booster meetings, ballgames and competitions, club meetings, days out of school, play practice, doctor appointments, deadlines to have things paid for!!, etc.

I haven't been into her room, but I don't think there's too much left in there. When I feel like I'm about to break down later this week, I'll go in there, sit on her bed, and cry it out. Then I'll be fine!

No comments: