Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Think About How You Will Really Feel

First, let me say I watched Hillary Clinton say something along this line, but I just have to expand on it.

In your mind - skip ahead 3 weeks, 6 days today was Election Day - and after you'd worked all day, stood in line to vote, got the kids fed, put in a load of clothes, homework, kids to bed, maybe ran a load of dishes too, talked to your mom, had a late supper with your significant other - my point is that you've had a full day and you are watching the returns, but the tiredness and fatigue take over before the election is called. You have to go to sleep. There is no shame, you must take care of yourself.

But, you go to sleep without knowing what's happened. And the next morning you wake up and it's the first thing on your mind. Hoping for the best, praying it's a good result, but wanting to avoid disappointing news as long as possible, you lollygag around. Hillary said you take 10 minutes to brush your teeth and make really strong coffee - but finally you have to know.

So, you turn on Diane and Robin or Matt and Ann, you logon your computer, or you call your best friend and you ask "Well, what's the verdict?"

How are you going to feel with they say "Obama won". Me, I'm going to be elated. I will know that there is a chance in hell I can get out of debt and get these kids out on their own, Renee will be able to finish school and if Lynn does join the Armed Forces, maybe I won't have to watch him fly off to Iraq to come back mangled and mutilated, alive or not. I'll know I can truly retire next year and rest these bones. I think some of the worried look will leave my face and I'll believe, again, there is a good future. I'll know that my brothers and sisters, all working class, tax-paying, law abiding citizens have a chance too - they can begin to breathe and see a light at the end of the tunnel.

But, if I have to hear "McCain took it", well my deflated sails will shrink even more. I'll begin to wonder how we'll eat this winter, how I'll ever pay the light bill, how I'm going to put gas in the one vehicle we have that takes three of us to work and school, and my tiredness will overwhelm me. I'm not a spendthrift, I budget and try to plan for the rainy days, but on this morning, I will know the light at the end of the tunnel is just the oncoming train that will destroy the rest of what I have left.

Those feelings run deep in me - and for that reason I'll vote, I'll early vote actually, and I'll urge everyone I know to please go and vote. It won't just be for me, it'll be for my children, my brothers and sisters, my elderly mother in law in Kentucky who shouldn't have to struggle like she does after working her entire life, my other relatives that are elderly and have seen their investments shrink to nothing because of greed and lack of accountability.

You - YOU - have the chance to be "THE DECIDER" now. You must decide and follow thru on bringing the change we so desperately need. You do not have to be afraid and you should not let social issues like abortion or gay marriage be the deciding factor on HOW you live in next four years. There is a big difference between 'living' and 'surviving' and unless we see a major change in Washington D.C. come January - there'll be very little of either taking place.

Can you feel it?

No comments: