Friday, October 10, 2008

Waffling Down the House

Something pretty amazing happened this week. Lynn got his first 'real' job working at the Waffle House.

Now, this is significant for so many reasons, but probably the most important being that maybe, just maybe, he has decided that he has to really become the adult he so desperately wants to be.

He started on Wednesday and spent the first two days in training. As mom, I watched as he got himself up - I didn't have to wake him, threaten him, coax him, threaten him again, or any of the usual activities that take place with Lynn has to be somewhere before late afternoon. He got up, got ready, had the appropriate clothes on, and seemed relatively happy about going. In fact today, he has worked two shifts - this morning 8 to noon and tonight 5 - 9.

Now, he's hourly pay is pretty pathetic - like most restaurant jobs it's just a little over $2.00 per hour - but - if he does good he can make pretty good in tips. He got a taste of that today when one man left him $4.00. Can't begin to tell you how much confidence that raised in him.

Lynn has struggled, mostly against me, but the root of it has been his own self-confidence. The big bad wolf persona had to come out to cover up that. As his mother, I've known that only too well and been the brunt of most of his anger, etc.

But today, well, I see the young man beginning to emerge that I've known was there from day one!

BUT, don't let me take any credit for this! No, GOD is faithful and prayers are being answered minute by minute.

1 comment:

Tricia Hicks said...

Oh, how I do love me some waffle house. If I happen to wander into the one that he's working at, and he happens to be my server, I'll give him an extra special big tip.