Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ignorance and the Political Sign

So it's no joke that i am a died in the wool Democrat. I was born into a Democratic family and raised that way. I have voted for a Republican twice in my lifetime - probably just weak moments if the truth be known when I had not educated myself enough to know and may not have even been in my right frame of mind.

That being said, this year I've volunteered some time and GIVEN MONEY to the Obama campaign. I don't have alot of money - that's why it's in all caps.

My sister and her husband made a nice donation to procure a 4 x 8 foot sign and since I live on a big corner lot, decided to put it up in my yard to get maximum exposure. No problems there, right. NOT!

They spent about $50.00 on the supplies to put the sign up and spent a couple of hours making sure it was secure, etc. That was Saturday.

Sunday - pretty nice day with no real problems.

Monday - first I get a call from the office of the property owners telling me the sign has to go. I live in a housing development that was funded by Low Income Housing Tax Credits, a federally funded program, and I suppose one of their rules says you cannot advertise for anything federally political. Don't know for sure, don't really care at this point.

BECAUSE - when I got home Monday evening, the sign had been kicked down. OK - so it can go and we'll put it somewhere else safer.

Lynn (my son) recovered the sign and the $50.00 worth of rebarb and tie downs - the sign was not destroyed - and we can reinstall it somewhere - God knows I wish it could be the roof after what took place Tuesday night.

Tuesday evening about 8:30 Lynn and one of his friends discovered there was a fire in my side yard. Upon investigation, there were three McCain/Palin signs put up and one Obama sign (the small yard type I'm sure stolen from somewhere in the neighborhood). The Obama sign had been torched, the can of accelerant was laying on the ground.

But, little did the perps know my neighbor was watching EVERYTHING and they are so fricking stupid - they are boys she knew from down the street. She came over to my house, she had already called the police, and they came shortly. A report has been filed and it's labeled as a 'hate crime' which brings in bigger guns and more punishment.

My kids were very upset - Renee cried and cried because she is tired of being treated different because she is bi-racial. She has experienced more racial prejudice at the Christian based univeristy she attends than I could have ever taught or exposed her to in a lifetime. She left her bedroom window up last night so she could hear if they came back - they did - but only in drivebys yelling "we hate niggers" each time.

My son, well, I hope he doesn't do anything stupid. He left the house after I begged him not to and to let the authorities handle it. He has no faith in the justice system at all.

Yes, I will pursue prosecution to the fullest extent of the law, even though I fear retaliation and further abuse and harassment. But, I will not live in fear nor back down from what I believe.

You want to know the best part - these young men are over 18 and guess what - neither Dumb Ass is registered to vote!! How much more ignorant can you get?

1 comment:

Tricia Hicks said...

Oh Lisa...I am so sorry that all of that happened. There are some really ignorant people in this world. I will be glad when this election is over!