Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Beginnings

I think I should start explaining the title and it's significance.

To begin with, I was the oldest child of 4. Both of my parents had been the oldest too - so that makes me the first grandchild on both sides. My mom had 1 sister and my dad had 6 brothers and 1 sister. I was the only granddaughter on mom's side until my little sister Amy was born almost 13 years later, and the only granddaughter that my dad's father ever knew. Of all those brothers, a couple never had children and the ones that did are way younger than me.

Is the picture making sense? Do you see a little spoiled girl coming along? All of these people treated me like a princess, especially the uncles and my mom's sister who didn't have any girls of her own. She was always buying me things, purses, jewelry, panty hose (way before my mom did).

The winter break after Amy was born, when I was 13, I read "Gone with the Wind". It was an amazing read - and right off the bad I identified with Scarlett. I mean, wouldn't you rather be Scarlett than Nellie Olson? Anyway, Scarlett's influence has always been there and not always been a good thing, but, not always bad either!! More about the "Scarlett factor" as we go along.

Just for the record, there was never any jealousy over Amy - she was like a real live baby doll to me then. Now she is an amazing woman, beautiful and talented, and the best friend and sister anyone could ever have!!

No comments: