Saturday, July 28, 2007

People Watching

This morning I went to early vote - we're electing a new mayor and entire council later this week. I wanted to be sure and vote early so as not to stand in too much of a line.

I don't walk around too well - I still have to tell that story - so on my way out of the library I sat down on the bench by the door. I must have sat there at least 30 minutes just watching folks come in and out. Most people acknowledged me by nodding or speaking. I tend to think that's because 1 - Nashville is a pretty friendly city and 2 - I don't think I look dangerous or unapproachable. The second is worth several posts - I think I'm a magnet sometimes for folks who have problems. Anyway, that's another day!

It does my heart good to see parents with their children at the library. If you can read, you can find out everything about everything!! There were many young families coming in and out, bringing in one stack, leaving with another. These children are the future - they must know how to really read!

The other thing I notice alot are shoes. I've always loved shoes. When I was young and single, I had a pair for just about every outfit I owned. I've had the 4 inch heeled Candies that I walked up Mt. Charlotte in and I've had the slip on flats in every color they were made in - I just like shoes.

Now, my feet are definitely the weakest part of my physical being. They've been broken up and patched up. It's hard for me to find shoes that will allow me to walk as well as I can and that don't cause any more pain to two appendages that scream in agony most of the time anyway. So I tend to pay attention to what other folks are wearing on their feet.

It is summer and quite warm so there were lots of sandels. I noticed many many folks wearing Birkenstocks. That's my shoe of choice now, the deep ankle bed gives me the support I need and my toes don't get scrunched up. If you don't own a pair, try them!

I notice too a lot of Crocs - I still haven't bought a pair of these but several of my feet challenged friends have recommended them.

I noticed several people whom I believe had aching feet because of the shoes they had on. I've done this in the past, had to look good no matter how bad it hurt! Take it from me - this will be the best piece of advice I'll ever give anybody - keep your feet happy! Do not worry what a shoe looks like (really!!!), just wear something that fits and doesn't hurt. Your life will be longer and you'll definitely be a much pleasanter person if your feet don't hurt!!

Happy Walking!

No comments: