Thursday, December 20, 2007

Teach Your Children

Remember this song by Crosby, Stills and Nash? I had looked up the lyrics the other day - sometimes I'm just old and forget the words. But, it's quite timely for today.

My children are 17 and 18 right now, very tough ages and tough times for them. It's the best time of your life, but you have no idea that it is, wouldn't believe anybody who told you, and it's only after you've struggled to live a few more years that you realize it.

There are not words to begin to tell a child how your heart aches for them - when they are troubled, sad, hurting, tired, frustrated or angry. When your child feels emotion, it's exacerbated in a mother's heart - good or bad.

I've spent my life raising these kids, their needs have always been first with me. I've taught them right from wrong, but now I'm watching them both struggle with life decisions. IT was so much easier when they were 2 and 3 and I could control everything in their lives. The fact that I don't have that control and I see them making mistakes makes me so angry. Today I need the strength to accept their decisions, do what I can to ease the pain, and go on living.

My mom told me you are never done raising your kids - I didn't want to believe her but now I know she was right.

No comments: