Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hell is for Children

The headlines in Nashville last night and today are all about a 17 month old baby boy, brought to the hospital dead, weighing only 10 lbs. They said he died from malnourishment and hypothermia, the power had been off in his apartment for a couple of weeks. His 31 month old sister is being treated for the same diagnoses and should recover - right now she is in DCS custody.

The father is in jail, the mother, whom did not have custody, but had visited just last week is not, yet. I hope she is arrested too - there is no way a 10 lb 17 month old could be deemed right in anybody's opinion.

I feel very bad about this - too bad to even cry. I remember my babies at 17 months - both of them were bubbly, laughing, running everywhere, trying to talk, playing with their toys and each other, keeping me busy but being just pure joys. I wonder if this child could even walk because of his low weight and other problems that had to be there from the malnourishment? Did he ever smile? I can imagine the hollow look his eyes must have held.

If his parents didn't feed him or be sure he was in a warm environment, did they hold him and nuzzle him? Did he know he was loved? Was he even loved?

I am reminded of a song Pat Benatar did several years ago - the last line of the chorus says "And you shouldn't have to pay for your love with your bones and your flesh". This little fellow paid with his whole life.

No comments: