Thursday, January 17, 2008

Time is Flying

Can you believe it's already January 17? It seems like yesterday I was posting about New Year's Eve!!

Renee will be 19 next Tuesday. That seems so hard for me to believe - turning 18 was a huge milestone, she was a senior, times were so exciting that the reality of it did not hit me. Now that she's about to be 19, it is sinking in big time that my child is grown. Without my permission, she could buy cigarettes, get married, join the military - none of which I'd be happy about right now.

I think she has seen and understands the dangers and health risks of smoking - both of my parents smoked and her dad smokes. Gasping for breath is no fun way to live. I don't think she's ready to get married, but if she did, what could I say? And, the military is not Renee's style - that's a relief.

But she'll be 19! That's not possible - just yesterday they brought me a little baby that needed her first bottle. Thank God her grandmother was there with me - I wasn't sure what to do at that point and was overwhelmed. Dorothy said "Do you want me to try?" and she gave Renee her first bottle. The bond between them is strong and I truly believe it is grounded in that moment.

Lynn is seventeen and while we are still struggling, he came in last night to my room, sat on my bed, and just bared his soul on a few things I had no idea about. I didn't know what to say, mostly just reassured him, cautioned him to slow down - life doesn't have to be lived at 90mph, and hoped when it was all over he knew that I loved him desperately and would do anything to see him be content with himself.

At the end of the day, when you've talked heart to heart with your children and they've both declared their love for you, what can be wrong in your world? I am the luckiest woman in the world!

No comments: