Monday, January 21, 2008

Retrospect

Well, yesterday's post was rough - I'll admit it - but I won't apologize for it.

Today is a holiday to celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King. I've been doing some reading online this morning, it amazes me that there is always more to the story and I never cease to find out new facts everytime I spend some time reading about history, but particularly today, about civil rights history.

It's no secret to any of you who know me that I am a die hard Democrat. I have to admit, I have voted Republican twice in the past but I can't see that ever happening again. And, I'm not a flaming liberal who just thinks anybody can do what they want regardless. I am pretty conservative in my personal life, I just think there's a limit to how far you can tell me how to live, or what you can attempt to force down my throat! One of my friends coined this phrase recently, it was the first time I'd heard it, but I agree 1000% - "stay out of my uterus, stay out of my bedroom".

The point being - I am and have always been a big fan of President Jimmy Carter. I've read several of his books - his work on civil rights, particularly voting rights, in the 60's was incredible. The stories he recalled - makes me proud that the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Acts were finally enacted - and embarassed that such things happened prior to and since them that even required such legislation.

Renee has a history class this semester in college that she is finding amazingly informative. It covers only a short period of time, during the 1800's up to Reconstruction. But, in doing so, goes far deeper than any history class she's ever had. It's great to see her embracing it so much. And, with her ethnicity, to witness the awakening in her that pretty much all segments of her background have been discriminated against in some way (with the exception of the white man) - well it makes me wonder how she will use this knowledge in her life and her life's work.

True knowledge of facts and history is the old way our kids can lead us into the future. Never stop reading, researching, and educating yourself in the truth!

No comments: