Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Cried for my Country Today

Well, actually yesterday, but that's not the point here.

I've been watching Good Morning America's Whistle Stop Train Tour all week. It has been great - they left New York and ended up in Washington DC. Between those two cities, they traveled the rails thru all sorts of little towns, stopping and getting off to meet the people. And, those people welcomed them with open arms, hearts and mouths.

A lot of the show this week was frank discussions over where folks stood and how their life was - where they were succeeding and where they were not having any luck.

I have no idea if GMA has a political affiliation or what any of the host's opinions are so I don't think the show is biased.

By yesterday I had an emotional breakdown where I literally wept for my country, my homeland, and how things are right now. The showed that folks on that were struggling with bills, loss of jobs and industry, increased food and energy costs, all the things that most of us are struggling with too.

One man was 94 years old and said for the first time since the Great Depression, he could not pay his taxes and eat. He didn't know what to do. There was the father who lost his job in the steel industry and does any kind odd job, etc. to make money to keep his family afloat. Moms with kids and doctor bills they couldn't pay because they had no insurance. And it wasn't all bad. There was the young boy who loved trains and arranged a train trip for his school, only to realize the train was not handicapped accessible and his own tears at having to leave some classmates behind.

Real people, good people, doing the best they can every day, and seeing that our government is failing them on every front. That's when I couldn't take it anymore and cried.

Not just cried, but moaned with agony that so many people are hurting in so many ways, and that while my life somedays seems so very tough, I am so blessed and have so very much.

And, out of that despair, I rose up with a new determination. One to be sure that everyone I know is registered to vote and does VOTE on November 4th. I have to do everything in my power to help things in this country, and that means that I have to do everything I possibly can to see a new administration in D.C. come January - and I mean 'new' in the party sense - not just another cloned copy of an idiot that needs his head pulled out of his ass!

No comments: