Monday, September 8, 2008

Safety Issue

My last post got a little radical and I did something I didn't give any thought to - I mentioned the university that my daughter attends.

Imagine my surprise when I got an email from one of their staff! They actually have a filter that alerts him when the university name is used online in blogs, emails, etc.

The email was nice and more in a 'so you know' vein. But it got me to thinking, after all of the episodes of violence on college campuses, I am glad they have this capability in place. I'm sure that the 'radical' Lisa considers this an invasion of privacy and against the civil rights of Americans, but I have to tell you that 'mom' Lisa is just fine with it being in place!

When Renee started high school, I could not let her go without having a cell phone. So she got her first phone about two weeks before she started her freshman year. I thought I worried during high school, but as she went on the college, the fear became worse. Lynn got his phone about half way thru the 8th grade. How my parents managed to raise 4 of us without cell phones is beyond me!

I believe we have a purpose in life, and I believe everything happens for a reason. While I know that if God gave her to me 19 1/2 years ago to take her back at the hands of an assassin on the college grounds, it is something I'd have to accept. But I pray daily that is not His will for her life and that she remains safe.

And I never cease to be amazed that the worry you feel when they are babies is nothing compared to what you face when they are young adults!

No comments: