Saturday, April 19, 2008

It's Prom Day! (again)

Yes - today is Prom Day at my house! Renee graduated last year, but her boyfriend is a senior this year so they are going. My nieces and one of their cousins will be here about 3:30 - the girls are all getting dressed here today. Amy will come about 3:30 or 4:00 with the steamer and the camera!! And, at least three other couples will be here between 5:00 and 6:00 to all admire each other and get pictures before they leave for the evening. And there'll be a mirage of parents who come to - I'm so glad the lawn got mowed on Thursday!! I'll post pictures here and on myspace later on.

I'm so glad that Renee has had a crew of friends that feel comfortable here and want to be here. One of her friends said yesterday something I take as a great compliment - she said I was the funniest person she'd ever known and I cracked her up everytime she saw me. I know this little girl (well, she's almost 20 but she's still a little girl to me) has had a rough time. I can't imagine trying to stand up under the burdens she has bore, but she does it smiling. I'm glad that even if it's only for a little while I make her laugh and maybe give her something to hold onto when the hours get tough.

Lynn's friends have liked being here too - for awhile every morning there had been a new overnight guest. Some of those boys have had some serious problems and there've been a few I've tried to ban from the house - without much luck usually. But I hope they thought of this as a safe place to lay down and sleep and get something to eat, even if Lynn's mom was going to fuss at them about leaving dishes in the living room and make them take the trash out when they left.

If you have kids, please please please try to make your home welcoming and inviting and a place your kids want to bring their friends. You never know when something you say or do may help in some small way for them to see a light at the end of a tunnel or encourage them to keep trudging on, no matter how hard their path is. And you'll be surprised at how much you'll learn from them (like how to do the Soldier Boy!) and how much they may bring to your life.

No comments: