Sunday, July 6, 2008

Family Tree Research

My sister Amy signed up with ancestry.com and started to build our family tree. I did some work about 9 years ago for a few months - can't believe it's been that long! I can say this - the websites designed for this type work, etc. have come a long way.

I've passed on the stuff I had to Amy to add in - the coolest thing about ancestry.com now is that if you hit a common person to another person's public tree - you can link them, giving you the opportunity to share but expanding both trees.

Of course you can keep your tree private if you're not inclined to share. There are some folks who don't like to share if they've done the research themselves, but as for me, share on! What good is any knowledge I have if I keep it to myself?

They've also got book publishing capablility and poster options. You can actually upload pictures of your relatives into the software and create a poster with 4, 5 or 7 generations, including pictures. I sampled one of those today - I'm thinking it might be something cute for the kids for Christmas! Renee would definitely appreciate it now and I can hope Lynn would some day.

Random note: If you have speakers and can hear my playlist on the blog - the first song now is "Hey Mama" by Kanye West. Lynn introduced me to this song about 1 1/2 years ago and said he wanted to dedicate it to me. SO, even if he doesn't act like he knows anything - I know he does!!

No comments: