Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday, Sunday

la la la da da da, Can't rest that day.....

Sunday always seem to be a busy day unless I specifically plan to sit in bed all day. Even then, unless both of my kids are out of town, I mean hundreds of miles away, it never works.

Got up early this morning, did the shower bit and headed to church a little earlier than usual. We have a church member whose mission is to get up early every morning and make his rounds to some grocery stores. He collects the food that's been pulled from the shelves and is about to go in the dumpster, most of which is still fine just not for the retail shelf. That food is supplementing not only our entire church family, but loads of friends and neighbors. This morning I loaded up my van to share with a few families I know, and brought home plenty for my own family. I did attend preaching too!

I mention this only to say the following - in the future we may all see that the acquirement of food to eat becomes more of full time job than the casual jump in the car, drive to Kroger task it has been for so many years. I don't want to go all 'Ruby Ridgish" here, but, I am trying to keep my eyes and options open. Readily available food may not always be our way of life. If I never realized or believe that before, I think about the multitude of folks who are benefiting from what's taking place at church and the folks who belong to the CSA's. Add to that the almost daily reminder that our food banks have diminished supplies and funds because of the demand - I know I'm right about looking for other options, etc.

Today I planned on doing some cooking up for the week - I still had produce to take care of before it was lost to spoilage. So that is in progress, and I get some more much appreciated help - my sister Amy and her husband Ben are starting a new eating plan tomorrow which required them to do some clearing of their own pantry - lucky for me and my kids!

So, sometime later today I will be glad to get up in my bed and rest. And be ever so thankful for the blessings of a good food supply my family has for the next week or two - it will give me a little room to be generous to those less blessed.

Today's challenge for you - give some thing, some money or some time away to someone less blessed than yourself!

No comments: