Sunday, August 3, 2008

Community Work

This week, National Night Out Against Crime is Tuesday, August 8.

There will be a big party at the neighborhood high school - we're going to have hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy, juice, water, a misting tent! big fans with water! a big circus tent! a big bingo game and activities for the kids like a moon bounce and some games.

Now I call all blow up with a generator bouncy things a moon bounce - no matter what they really are - space shuttle, king kong (yes, you should see it) or the duck - they are all moon bounce.

I would normally be really looking forward to this afternoon, I get to work at the registration table for the neighborhood association, which means I get to talk to everyone that comes by. Talking is my passion, if I'd ever had a job that paid me be the word, well, this blog wouldn't be here, or if it was, it'd be coming at you live from the beach on some remote Caribbean island I'd bought. One not too far out so I could have a bridge to themainland - well, that's a few blogs and a lot of psycho-therapy from ever being fixed.

Anyway, I think it'll be a great day - lots of activities, lots of community groups coming to have booths, police and fire, government departments with information, etc.

BUT, it's supposed to be 98 damn degrees Tuesday afternoon at 3:00!!!

For me that means stifling air that doesn't go much past my adam's apple, and certainly doesn't come close to inflating my lungs, even with all the albuterol I'll suck down. And, since I don't normally have enough sense to take care of myself on days like this, and I have this horrible habit of not saying NO, my sister Amy and my daughter Renee have forbade me to be there! Probably a good thing, I don't remember seeing an ambulance on the list of guests!

No comments: