Saturday, November 5, 2016

2013 - The Year of the Concert - First Published Nov 13 2013

2013 - The Year of the Concert

As most of you know, I dubbed 2013 the year of the concert several months ago when I made a decision to try and see every show I wanted to and could.  As we near the end of the year, I am satisfied and happy with the choices and shows, and done for the year.  The cold weather has finally arrived in Nashville, and that is my cue to hibernate as much as possible for the next three or four months.

Early spring started and the first show was Kid Rock!  What an awesome show!  I was accompanied by my daughter, Lisa Renee Martin, and we had a great time!  I think she enjoyed watching me jump around and chair dance the most!!  She said it was disturbing that I knew all the words to "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry - but hey, what can I say?  I will say this, it took me three or four days to recover from Kid Rock!  Note to self, you are not as young as you once were!!  

Second concert of the year was to see The Four Tops and The Temptations!  This was my first show at the Ryman - very glad to see the Temptations with Otis Williams.  Last year, Renee, Marg, Sheila and I had seen the Temptation Review with Dennis Edwards - so life is complete!  I've seen as many of the Temps as I can.  I sang some but I DID NOT wear myself out!

In May I went to see Elton John at the Bridgestone!  It was my third, and probably last, time to see him.  Renee and her husband Chris Estes went with me.  It was a great show - although we were in the top top section and I couldn't really look around to see how high we were.  Thank goodness for jumbo trans!

The next concert I bought tickets for was this little band I dearly love - Alabama Shakes.  I ended up not going, a decision I do not regret, and was very glad my friend and work buddy Kathy Biss Bates enjoyed the tickets.  I will hold out to see them until they are playing an inside venue!

In October, I was greatly pleased to be accompanied by my brother, Mike Furkins, to see the Eagles!  What an incredible show!  We had a great time, it had been 20+ years since we'd been to a concert together.  I can imagine a better time being had by two folks - and I'm so glad to share this memory with him!

I did make it to one Nashville Symphony show - my old pal Sherry Sloan accompanied me.  We enjoyed catching up before the show and then the show was awesome!  I'd never seen a piano with a keyboard at both ends - pretty amazing piece of equipment!  I have season tickets to the symphony, so I'll be attending some shows in 2014.

The grand finale was a trip Monday night back to the Ryman to see Lynyrd Skynyrd.  It was Lynn's birthday and he was my guest.  We had a great time and the show was wonderful!  It was sobering to see how the guys have aged (well, I have too) but amazing to see how they could still jam!  Lynn said he thought their fingers would fall off!!

I am a very blessed woman - and this year has been lots of fun!  


No comments: