Saturday, November 5, 2016

50 Years Ago Today - What I Remember - First Published Nov 22 2013

50 Years Ago Today - What I Remember

Fifty years ago today, I remember quite alot, even if I was only 3 1/2 years old. 

My family lived in the tiny little town of Burkesville, Kentucky.  Dad worked at Burkesville Transfer and Mom was working at the sewing factory - and I don't remember it's name. 

We had a young girl, she was probably 18 or 19 at the time, who kept me, Mike, who was about to turn 2 on Christmas Day, and Larry who was only 7 months old.  Her name was Evinois - and my memories of her all are quite fond.  She was a loving soul who cared for us three little white kids like we were her own.  Our whole family loved her and she remained in our lives years after we moved away.  That's a whole other note!

Evinois watched "As the World Turns" faithfully everyday.  And while I didn't have a clue what was going on - I'd watch too.   During the program, there was an interruption that said President Kennedy had been shot.  Now, I didn't know who he was, but I was quite concerned that Evinois was upset.  When the second interruption came on to say he had died, she burst into tears, big tears!  I was scared and bewildered but I remember her comforting me to calm my fears.

The house we lived in had three porches - one fully across the back and front and one side.  We had gone outside to the front porch, all the neighbors on the street had done the same.  It was only a short while until my Mom came walking up the street - when the President died, her company closed and sent everyone home.  She had walked the mile or so, I imagine as quickly as possible, to get home to us.  

As she came across the yard from the street, I ran to meet her.  Evinois was holding Larry and Mike was toddling around on the porch.  Mom and Evinois looked at each other, my Mom said "What in the world?" and they hugged.  I remember us all going back inside and so began the first marathon of t.v. watching during a tragedy.

As a kid, I had no real idea of what had happened.  I knew my parents and everyone around me was upset and there was a sense of shaky ground to everything.  As days wore on, I'm sure my little world went back to normal. 

But our whole world never quite returned to normal.  This week I've watched hours about the anniversary, etc.  I have enjoyed Bob Schieffer's recount of the story as a young print reporter of that day and all the other stories that have been shared.  It was truly a time of loss of innocence for this country.  


No comments: