Saturday, November 5, 2016

Remembering Those Lost This Year - First published Dec 7 2014

Remembering Those Lost This Year

I've meant to write this for awhile now, but it seems rather appropriate with the season we are in.  

In the last 14 months I lost three aunts.  I'd like to remember each of them today.

Last October my Mom's only sister (and sibling) passed away.  When I was a child and trying to become a young woman, I was the only niece on that side of the family as Amy was born when I was almost thirteen.  Martha Jean tended to spoil me some, in fact quite a bit.  Everytime we ever stopped to visit, she'd have something for me.  A purse she'd had made by a woman she worked with, hair barettes, and when I reached 11 or 12, she'd always have panty hose for me!  That had to be the coolest gift - Mom was not quite ready for me to cross that bridge, but Martha kept me in hose.  
There were times she and Mom would be on the outs - as only siblings can understand and will happen from time to time.  After Mom died, there wasn't but a handful of Saturday nights that Martha and I did not chat by phone.  The last three or four years neither of us could travel so we had not seen each other, but we always talked.  Thru those conversations we shared our lives and memories and filled in blanks for each other.  She encouraged me when Lynn was acting up and I reciprocated when Robbie was doing the same.  We cried together over good memories and bad things - like Robbie's motorcycle accident.  And we laughed - A LOT of laughing!  

We'd discussed the end as she knew it was near - and the last words I heard her say was "I love you Lisa Gayle".  She died the next day and I miss her everyday in this world.  It's a different miss than my Momma but I'd love to talk to her again.  Narry a Saturday night goes by that I don't think, after I'm settled in bed, that it's phone call time.

Last May, my cousin Mylinda called me to say that Bertha had been killed in a car wreck.  Bertha was my Uncle Kyle's wife, Kyle was one of my Dad's brothers.  I didn't know her as well as I now wished I had, but me and Kyle, well sometimes we didn't get along too well.  What I remember most about Bertha was her describing the first time she saw Kyle walking down the street.  She loved that man with all she had and that's all that matters to me.  And Kyle could put a person through some hell, forgive me and may his soul rest in peace, but the truth is the truth!  Her love and devotion puts her on  a high shelf with me and I only wish I'd stayed in touch with her more.  Facebook is pretty amazing in one aspect - we had reconnected and shared a few things, including pictures.  One of her sisters has moved into The Towers and we've become friends and have shared and I feel very blessed to have this opportunity to get to know Bertha better.

In June, my aunt Betty died, after a similar battle to Martha's complicated by cancer.  Betty was married to Harry, my Dad's youngest brother.  They were only about 8 years old than me - more like older siblings.  I was 14 when they married so Betty was around for all of the hard stuff a young person goes through.  There were a lot of times she offered encouragement without comdemnation and for that I'll eternally be grateful.  Sometimes,  a person needs someone to not pass judgement!

Betty and Harry got a new Cobra II around 1976 or so - it was white with the blue markings - just perfect!  And a four speed?  Maybe, something manual.  Anyway, I was getting to driving age and bless Betty's heart, she tried to teach me.  Now, anyone who knows my past knows I was a horrible driver for years and it wasn't her fault I just couldn't grasp it at all, but she tried, right out on Nolensville Road in that Cobra.   I'm not sure anybody else knew that until today??

By the time I graduated from high school, they'd had Mylinda and Jeremy and were very busy.  But I still saw them pretty often, Betty would invite us for soup and chili - she sure made a mean pot of both and the best cornbread I've ever eaten.  When I had the big wreck, Betty and Harry came to Stallworth to see me.  They brought potato soup and cornbread!  YUMMY!

The only time I remember Betty being anything less than 100% in my corner was when I got engaged.  And even then, she only said "I can't be happy for you".  And when the time came that the marriage ended, etc.  she didn't say "I told you so".  Betty was a kind and generous soul and I'm glad to have known and loved her.

This time of year lots of things come to mind - Christmas's past and Christmas's future (especially since I have grandchildren now) but in this Christmas present I'd like to remember the ones who left this year and what they meant to me!


No comments: