Saturday, November 5, 2016

Showing Respect and Reverence for Sacrifices Made - First Published Jan 24 2014

Showing Respect and Reverence for Sacrifices Made

Today I watched the video about a funeral in Arlington during the recent snowstorm.  

Close to 30 years ago now I was very fortunate to be to McLean, VA on temporary duty for my employer at the time.  McLean is a suburb of Washington DC.  I would be there 8 weeks.

During that time, several of the other members of the team and I visited DC as often as possible to see as much as possible during our time there.  We were working very hard all day, and playing even harder when we got home.

One evening our trip was to Arlington National Cemetery.  We got there in the afternoon and stayed until ordered to leave when the park was closing.  We got to see a changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown, and all of the other mainstays - the Challenger Memorial, JFK's grave and flame, and a few others I can't recall exactly.

What I do remember is this - the overwhelming feel of respect, reverence and pride.  Respect for what all of those buried there had done and for the humans they were, reverence for the sacrifices they had made and for what our country stood and stands for, and pride in being an American.  I could truly feel that we have a magnificent rich heritage and each of us has reason to be proud of that.  

Everyday, I see place and things that need to be fixed, people too.  And I don't have all the answers.  I don't think any one of us actually does.  But I do know this, I am proud to have been BORN in America, (a little prouder that I was born in the South), and I am glad I CAN work and pay taxes and I will NEVER fail to exercise my right to vote.

And, if I ever forget any of those things, I hope something comes along and reminds me how I felt in Arlington!


AND - by all means, visit Washington DC sometime in your lifetime!  It is well worth the effort!

No comments: