Saturday, November 5, 2016

Food Stamps - First Published Jan 15 2014

Food Stamps

I thought a while before I share the posting on food stamps.  This is one of those things I actually have a little experience with, and have a lot of thoughts about.

In 2005 I found myself without a job or income and facing disability.  My doctor had been telling me for a couple of years I should quit work, but I didn't want to.  Alas, things changed drastically all in one day.

I went to DHS - which is another rant for another day - and applied for food stamps and TennCare since I'd also lost my health insurance.  I had full custody of my two children, and at that point, was not receivng ANY child support from their dad.

I got TennCare and food stamps in the amount of $293.00 per month for three folks.  Right then, the kids were still in school so they automatically got free breakfast and free lunch.  But stretching $293.00 for 30-32 days for three folks is not easy.  Food stamps are supposedly calculated at $1.00 per meal per person when there are no other resources. 

It was all I had to spend on food so it meant that there were no quickie things - no microwave stuff and no junk food.  I know how to cook, how to cook for leftovers, and how to remake those into something new.   I can do wonders with a bag of dried beans and a sack of potatoes - and was glad many times I'd grown up the way I had.  We didn't eat out, but we never missed a meal!

I was blessed in that my social security disability was approved in less than 90 days - imagine that - even they thought I was have been going to die soon.  I only got the food stamps for the 6 months until my SS check came - and that's the way the program was meant to be utilized - as a tool to get from point A to point B without being hungry.

My points are:  If you get food stamps and that is truly how and what you feed your family - there is not money for tattoos, beer, partying of any kind.  If I see you in the store paying for food with an EBT card and you are tatted up one side and down the other, I don't know if you got those first, before some tragedy struck, or if you're lying to the system.  


ANY kind of assistance is meant to be TEMPORARY - it's not for you to live your whole life on because you lie or choose not to do better.  That's laziness and trifling and is not to be tolerated.

No comments: