Saturday, November 5, 2016

An Eventful Week - First Published Mar 14 2014

An Eventful Week

What a week it has been!  Monday came and so did my first grandchild - Cameron Rondale Martin!   Honestly, I had no idea that my heart could ever swell more with love and pride, but it did.  It was a marvelous feeling, like falling in love, and I'm so very grateful.

Wednesday marked a milestone in my life that is bittersweet.  Amy mentioned it in her post that it would have been our Daddy's 77th birthday!  It's so hard to believe that he has been gone 19 years - and oh how I missed him more this week than I've ever known I could miss him.  

There have been so many days I wished I could just talk to him for a minute, could just hug him again, or see his sheepish grin when he'd got us and knew it.  But, when I went to meet Cameron on Wednesday and looked down into that little precious face, I thought about my Daddy.

Daddy was my first visitor in recovery after Renee was born.  He was a quiet man, but the conversation we had in those few minutes is etched forever in my brain and only this week, looking down into the face of my little grandson, did I really have a clue what my Daddy was feeling that day.  Long years of hard work, hopes and prayers  and his child had become a parent.   He got to see that two more times before he had to leave us - I am so grateful for that!

I know my Dad would be so very proud of Renee, Lynn, Meaghan and Austin!  Renee has graduated from college and gotten married, Meaghan has one year left of college, Lynn has become a father and Austin starts high school in August.  I can imagine he'd be beaming with a huge smile and pride and I hope all four of these kids know what a special treasure that man truly was, to his family and friends and to the world.  


I love you Daddy, now more than ever!

No comments: