Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Mother's Love - First Published Feb 25 2013

A Mother's Love

So yesterday was Mom's birthday.  I made a comment about it on Facebook and really enjoyed the comments that came back.  Spent the old day thinking about her and the family as a whole.

You know, our mothers are the first person we know and the only one that will ever know us inside and out.  Moms hear and feel your heartbeat from the inside, feel the first movement as you begin to wiggle fingers and toes and the movements where her dress jumps, your heel is pushed almost through her abdomen, or the times when it feels like you're stomping your way out of the womb.  No one else will ever know how you felt growing and developing in her body.

Your mom is usually the first person (after the doc maybe) your little eyes don't focus on - but believe me - mom knows you in that first look.  And until you feel that wave of emotion that passes through your body when you see that baby for the first time, you cannot ever know exactly how your Mother felt nor appreciate just how much she loved you.

As I begin to raise my kids, there were moments I realized how my mom must have felt (usually if I felt disappointed, because I know I disappointed her several times.  There were moments I opened my mouth and my Mom came out - shocking, but then I had to admit how very right she had been!!  Times when I stopped for a minute just to say a prayer of thanks for the Mom I'd had, the way she'd raised me, and how blessed I had been.  And at this stage in life, a deep understanding and appreciation for all of her love and sacrifice because there is no end to what a mother will do for her kids.  

Mom and I had a conversation just a couple of weeks before she died in which she was giving me instructions on how to handle arrangements, etc.  She went on to say that raising us hadn't always been easy, but they (she and Dad) had gotten lucky, they'd good kids.  I told her we were the lucky ones!!  Tears came to her eyes as she said "thank you for saying that".

I never spoke truer words.

I guess I must have a point here - and it's this - tell your parents how you really feel about them and don't wait until it's too late.  You'll be glad you did and you'll be able to enjoy the memories without a lot of sorrow.


No comments: