Wednesday, September 5, 2007

About Hogwarts

I first became aware of who Harry Potter was when my daughter, now 18, was in the 4th grade. Her teacher was reaching the first book "The Sorcerer's Stone" to them aloud in the class. Since she and some of her buddies were in my after school program, I'd here them discuss it and words like "muggle" and what it meant. Didn't even think about reading it myself - must be a kids book right?

A couple of years later I was reading Stephen Kings "On Writing". Now, to say that Stephen King is my favorite author of all times is a big understatement. I have one whole bookcase dedicated to him - own almost every movie on VHS - and working on a DVD collection. I even own a 8 x 10 glossy portrait of him that is not framd and hanging because that is where the kids drew the line. In their words, I was bordering on insanity or stalkerism, or both, and a framed picture of him hanging in our house would be the final step toward committment to a place I couldn't voluntarily leave. The picture is on the bookcase, hidden between two books, but don't tell them!!

Anyway, he'd listed, in the back of the book, what he'd read for the last year. Very impressive list, I'd say he reads 4-5 books a week, not bad at all! On the list was Harry Potter - the first three books. So, in my mind, if my literary hero had read them, why shouldn't I? By this time, Renee owned all three books so I borrowed the first one and began to read.

I finished it the next morning, read "Chamber of Secrets" that day and "Prisoner of Azkaban" the next. I was hooked! Since that time, the release of a Potter book has been a big deal at my house. I bought books 4 and 5 the day they were release, book 6 Renee and one of her friends picked up for me at midnight on release day and book 7 - Renee and Amy picked up all of our books at midnight of release day while they were attending the Potter Ball at the bookstore! You can refer back to my early blogs about reading book 7.

When the first movie came out, I took my two kids and my niece Meaghan to see it on the first night. I usually wait and catch the movies on DVD now, but my kids and Amy and her husband Ben see premier day!!

There is one bookshelf dedicated to Harry Potter in my house - all the books, #5 on tape, a Potter snowglobe, some figures, the movies, and Bernie Botts Beans! I'm quite sure some folks bought them to eat - mine are displayed and better never be missing from that shelf!

Harry Potter has brought a great deal of enjoyment to me and my family. It's been a joy to see converts within the family (Amy and Ben first, now Mitzi's niece Crystal). We have Potter Trivia games, calendars, screensavers, and ringtones. I even had a Potter birthday party for my 42nd!

It's hard to imagine life without a new Potter book to look forward to - we sitll have two more movies that will be fun to wait for.

If you've ever wondered, don't! Don't worry about the magic sending the wrong message - the story is just so good and everyone loves Harry, Ron, and Hermione so much.

No comments: