Friday, September 7, 2007

Tales from a 1979 Buick Regal

Yesterday I went with a group of senior citizens from this area to see a production of Steel Magnolias. It was really good - everything took place in Truvy's shop so some of the dialogue changed for the scenery, but it still told the story and was very funny in all the right places. The matinee included a lunch buffet which was very good - dessert was cheesecake and RED VELVET CAKE WITH GRAY ICING!!

I really like to see live productions and/or live music. I think seeing musicians or actors perform in person brings so much more to their craft, and their product.

I think back to all the concerts I've been to - the big ones and the small dives where I went to watch my brother play. It was always so enjoyable - I love the atmosphere and the feeling of festival!

If you read my sister's post - you've read about the great Van Halen incident. My 1979 Buick Regal was a force to be reckoned with - I drove way too fast and the music was always blaring. I only had the factory stereo - I can imagine if I was 18 today what I'd have in a vehicle. I never hear "Running with the Devil" today without remembering in the pit of my stomach that sinking feeling when I heard that train whistle, while on the tracks, and could only think, "My God, I've killed Amy!".

And, I had to chuckle when Amy called to see if I'd seen Van Halen in concert - three times with David Lee Roth! Her next question was did I remember any of it? Those were the days!!

I am beginning to really be bothered by some hearing loss too - some of that's heredity from my dad's side of the family - the rest I can chalk up to Van Halen, Ted Nugent, Pat Travers, and Rush, along with all my regular favs that I cranked up.

Sometimes I dream about that little car - it represents the rite of passage for not only me, my brothers, Amy, but a host of other friends. I finally traded it after 7 years, 13 or 14 wrecks, 2 engines, at least 10 sets of tires, and numerous other things not countable (or mentionable!) I hope it's resting in peace somewhere!

This is one post I hope my children don't read!!

No comments: