Sunday, October 7, 2007

Grammatically Correct

You know something that drives me insane? The use of the phrase "gone missing" or "went missing".

I don't think either are especially grammatically wrong, BUT, I think that sound ignorant and backwoodsey. I had not heard the phrase until I was about 11 and my roommate at church camp was from a little hillbilly town in East Tennessee. I don't think I'd heard them again until recently when they became the works of choice on television.

Now, our newscasters on every station use them regularly. For something to 'go missing' and 'went missing' doesn't the phrase indicate that the object or person has purposely acted in such a way to be missing. For instance, I've heard everyone of the news anchors refer to Janet March - it's been ten years since she went missing. Well, none of us know where Janet went or if she went anywhere, at least voluntarily.

It just grates on my nerves beyond belief - and I believe if I'd spent 4-8 years in college, was on public t.v. everynight, and got paid what these yo-yo's do, I'd find better terminology to use.

If I was to use these terms in my sentence, it'd been one like "Yeah, well Sander Claus done gone missing down at the Walmarks. Rudolph and dem udder reindeer went missing too."

SmileyCentral.com

No comments: