Tuesday, October 30, 2007

World Series

I did watch - not every single minute of every game - but around a third to half of each of the four games. I'd flip back and forth during commercials, etc. But I always watched the last 2 innings in entirety.

Go Sox! Now, I can't say I'm a lifelong Sox fan - just in the last ten years or so - since I discovered that my favorite author of all times - The King! - favs the Sox. Of course, some of the players have kept me watching - this year my favorite was Manny Ramirez! What a cutie!!

Watching the games brought back a lot of memories - my dad was a big baseball fan - not the kind to leave us sitting at home to go to a game, but definiately one who watched it when he could and taught us all how to play. He favored the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Daddy was a left handed pitcher - as a youngster I couldn't play pitch with him - but the boys did. He could put a spin on a ball, send it right up your arm if that glove didn't hold it, burn the skin right off! Even after open heart surgery and multiple bypasses, he threw a ball clocked at 90 mph at the old throwing game in Opryland. I noticed the guys pitching major league during the series were only hitting 94-96 mph.

Daddy died October 15, 1995. I've watched some of the World Series every year since then - makes me feel close to him. I know he's watching, from the best seat in the house!

No comments: