Friday, October 26, 2007

Public Service

I don't mean the kind you get when you've been in trouble and have to do what used to be called "Community Service". I'm talking about those folks who run for and are elected to public office to serve their communities, cities, states, and nations. God Bless Them All!!

I'm concerned, of course, about Nashville, Tennessee, our nation, and the world in general. But, my own little area of town, District 16 in Metropolitan Davidson County, is where my primary concerns are and maybe where I can do something to better the neighborhood and hope it trickles on to the bigger picture.

All this leads up to me saying though, I could not be the elected council person for this district in no way shape, form or fashion. Bill Gates couldn't pay me, he does have enough money. I thought I cared, but, I'm not sure I could remain gracious and in control if I was faced with what I'm sure every council person faces, but particularly what I've seen up close and personal in my own district. Hell, I haven't stayed gracious and in control just as a constituent!

There are about 5,000 registered voters, give or take, in this district. That means there are probably 25,000 residents. So, at least 25,000 folks have an opinion, that's good, all of them think they are right - hmmm - and most of them will call to ask for something or just to complain about their neighbor.

I would cautiously say that there is some diaglogue happening that may actually lead to some successful brainstorming without brain-bashing. I'm not holding my breath - just waiting to see. And, I've added my own fuels to the flames a few times - which I regret only in the sense that I don't want to make the job for the council person any worse.

I suppose this is democracy at work - sometimes it just looks like democrazy!

AND - REGISTER TO VOTE!! There is no excuse and no reason to delay any longer!!

SmileyCentral.com

No comments: