Saturday, October 6, 2007

October is not Cooling Off

Today is October 6 - and the high in Nashville today was 89 degrees. That is way too hot for a Saturday in October.

Today was the marching band competition at my alma mater. I was supposed to work today, but woke up way under the weather. As the day has turned out, it was the best all around that I didn't even try to go - I doubt I would have make it very long. Even I was feeling bad, I believe the heat would have got to me.

I have to wonder what the winter is going to bring. In Tennessee, there are several counties whose primary water source is near depletion. Expectations are for at least 5 counties to be without any water supply by January, unless we get some major rain for the next 4 months.

I traveled to Huntingdon yesterday - at one point you cross the Tennessee river. Now where I cross, the river is very very wide. I hate bridges, especially those over the water, but yesterday I made myself look at the shorelines. There is at least 10 feet of shore showing, maybe more, since the bridge is so high it's hard to gauge. But, I realized that has to be several million gallons of water that is just not there.

And, I realize this hasn't happened in the last 7 years - it is a long term thing - but it is another reason I cannot vote for a Republican. They simply do not do anything about the environment, or anything good. Personally, I don't have to worry about too many more years, but I don't want my kids or grandkids to suffer because there is no fresh water or readily available food. I believe we'll see both of these in the next 25 years - maybe much sooner.

No comments: