Thursday, October 18, 2007

Old Friends

Tuesday night an old friend from high school and her husband came by to visit.

I had not seen Tammy in probably about 25 years - I think the last time was right after she and Greg had married and they celebrated their 25th anniversary this year. About a year ago she contacted me thru Classmates.com. We've emailed back and forth and talked on the phone - but I have to tell you it was wonderful to see her and just spend some time sitting in the same room reminiscing. She lives out of state - probably a 3 hour drive or so - but I hope we can make time to spend more time together in the future.

After reconnecting with Tammy I was inspired - I went looking for a couple of other old friends - one from Kentucky, Sondra, that I had not seen since we were both freshmen in college in 1978. I found her sister - so then her! We've been emailing back and forth for a few months - she only lives about 60 miles from here and hopes to visit Nashville soon and come by for awhile.

My whole point is - if you've lost a connection with someone from you past that was a dear friend - then try to find them. Classmates.com is a great place to start if they were school buddies. Sharing with these two has so enriched my life - I'm not sure why we drifted apart other than life's paths forked at some point. All these years later though, things weren't so different after all when it came to raising kids and trying to live the best life you can. For all three of us, we've buried all of our parents and have been driven insane by our kids as teenagers. Tammy nor I are grandparents yet, but Sondra is - she is enjoying the children without having to raise them, and enjoying seeing her kids pay for their raising!

I feel deeply blessed to have been able to share my life with these friends again - it has been wonderful and I look forward to much more reminiscing in the future.

No comments: