Thursday, May 22, 2008

Diet Coke Rehab

Yes I am trying to kick the addiction to Diet Coke. In my life, I've not been addicted to drugs or alcohol or cigarettes, but I've got a thing for food. I love it and I enjoy good food immensely. More on that later, right now let's deal with the Diet Coke issue. A few years ago, maybe 7-8, I got this grand idea that I might help my weight issue if I switched to Diet Coke. I didn't really drink a lot of Cokes, only when we had pizza or burgers at home, sometimes had one at lunch, but it wasn't something I bought everyday or kept in the house. My kids were young and I didn't buy cokes so they didn't drink them. That's another blog - feeding young kids!

Anyway, the switch wasn't that easy - I didn't really like the taste. But as with all things that will hook you, I got past that funny aftertaste. And, because in my mind it was Diet Coke and what could it hurt, I drank them like there was no tomorrow.

During fall registration at my old job, my office mate and I drank over 200 20 ounce bottles one August! We laughed that our bladders would fall out on the floor, but we got thru the month!

And, I would try, sometimes, to quit drinking them. It might last a day or two, maybe even 4 or 5, but next thing I'd know that cool burn down my throat would call and I'd suck one up in Guinness record breaking time. Liquid crack - that's just what it is - and I was it's crack whore.

And, as I'm really a control freak, I got to thinking - I didn't like that little bottle having the say so around me. And, I'd been reading how really bad for you aspartame is, and how the Diet drinks trick your mind and make you really eat more, to which I will say "Amen". I've gained more weight since I switched to Diet Coke than in any other timeframe in my life.

So, as of this morning, I am about 73 hours past last Diet Coke. So far, so good - although I felt it calling me last night. But I resisted - and this time I aim to be done with the Diet Coke once and for all. God help me, and my boy, Stephen Tyler, would went back to his own rehab yesterday! Hang in there Stephen!

No comments: