Saturday, May 24, 2008

Falling Off the Wagon

I've done pretty good - maybe not as good as I should have - but who's perfect? I haven't had a full Diet Coke since last Monday - in fact - I had not had any Diet Coke at all until last night and I only drank about one half of a small from White Castle - probably 10 ozs worth. It didn't taste good so it was easy not to drink it - I just felt the urge and I was pretty bummed all day yesterday. Today - I'm back on the water, tea, and I did have a Dr. Pepper. Remember - it's not colas I'm eliminating, it's aspartame!!

I can tell I feel better - I even went to the Hands Together in Flatrock festival today and stayed until almost 2:00 which was two hours longer than I'd anticipated staying when I got there. Not bad!!

The amazing thing is - my craving for chocolate has really subsided. I've had some, as just a choice, not an overwhelming craving for it. One of the things I'd watched about aspartame had discussed how it tricks your brain into thinking you've ingested sugar, but with no sugar rush, hence the desire for the rush which leads to the craving for the carbohydrates. Very simple explanation, but it's what works for me!

This is what Websters describes aspartame as: a crystalline compound C14H18N2O5 that is a diamide synthesized from phenylalanine and aspartic acid and that is used as a low-calorie sweetener. Does that sound healthy? I don't think so - almost sounds like something illegal you'd buy in a back alley somewhere.

So I'm trying - all an addict can say.

No comments: