Saturday, May 17, 2008

Graduation Gripes

I am so glad I do not have a child graduating this year in Metro schools. Glencliff's graduation is being held at TPAC - and each graduate was only allowed 8 tickets for family members and friends. A few kids got a few extras - the ones that didn't make the cut yesterday to walk on Sunday - their tickets were raffled off. Something rather barbaric about that!

Anyway, last year the graduation was held at Belmont and there were several thousand people present. Because I sat at the top of the arena - and near a door - I could barely hear anything because the traffic of folks arriving never stopped and they were all talking to each other or on the cell phones and laughing. Long ago, the dignity of graduation slipped out the door to never return.

I can't imagine the melee tomorrow at TPAC. I'm sure there will be many folks show up who have no idea they will not be allowed in without a ticket. And, the largest high school in Nashville, McGavock, is graduating around 1500 2 blocks away. Can you imagine the parking mess? There'll be folks on the street thinking they are going to graduation when the ceremony is over!!

I heard Channel 5 say this morning there would be increased security at all high school graduations in Metro this year. I say good - make sure you've got a huge posse near 6th and Deaderick - you're gonna need it!

And, to the powers that be at Glencliff and the Board of Education - what the hell were you thinking?

No comments: