Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's Derby Day!

Having been raised and reared in Kentucky for almost 9 years, and being a weekend resident for the next 10 years or so, Derby Day is a big day to me. About 3:00 ths afternoon I'll sit down in front of the t.v. to watch the show. I've never been to a horse race in person, but I'll be excited and anxiety will ovetake me as the race begins. I'm sure the weather will be beautiful there today, but I hate to see the horses race after it's been raining, there's just more room for injury.

A couple of years ago I watch as Barbaro, the most spirited horse I've ever watched, won the Derby like it was kindergarten. And I was watching when he burst thru the gates at the Preakness ready to run before the race began. And I was watching when it became obvious that something had gone dreadfully wrong. I remember feeling terrible and just sitting there crying, knowing this was not good. I think it is very fitting that Barbaro's ashes are buried at Churchill Downs.

And even though I've only been on a horse once, and I'm scared of them actually, being born and raised in Kentucky you just develop a sense of pride, wonderment and respect for these animals. Churchill Downs is a revered place by Kentuckians and today is their day to shine for the world. My body will be in Nsahville, but today, my heart is in Louisville.

No comments: