Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

My dad was a character. Man of few words, but when he spoke no one (well, except Mom) contradicted him or questioned him. Whatever he had said was just the way it was going to be and that was that.

I remember sometime the summer of 1988 - either 4th of July or Labor Day, that part doesn't matter - I was pregnant with Renee and we were all at Mom and Dad's. We decided to cook out, which meant a trip to the store, a trip to my house to get the big grill, a trip to Larry's for something and I remember saying we'll (referring to me and the ex) do whatever we were about to do.

Before we could get started my Dad walked in and said, "well, you do this and you do that, etc" and realigned all of the jobs. No one said a word and everyone got busy, except me! He'd realigned everything so that I was left sitting on the couch without a task. And while I'm thinking "Man I should be doing something!" my Mom asked me if I'd realized who he'd left sitting. That was all she said, all she needed to say!

When Renee was born the next winter, Daddy didn't come to the hospital when they induced me or anytime during the almost 23 hours that followed. He said he'd done his time and Ronnie (the ex) would just have to do his! But, somewhere around 5:00 AM when they decided I was about to be an emergency C-section, and Mom called him, she said he must have been up and dressed because she thought he appeared in front of her before she hung up the phone!

Later in recovery when they only let folks in one at a time, I was a little surprised to see my dad come around the curtain first. I didn't know he was there at all! He didn't say too much, except that she was beautiful, but not the prettiest little girl he'd ever seen! He hugged me and told me he loved me, then he scooted right out!

He's been gone almost 13 years, but everyday of my life I remember something about him, something he said, something he didn't say (he never said I told you so, even when he could have!), remember his strength, drive and determination. I love you Daddy!

No comments: