Sunday, June 8, 2008

Remembering Mom

Five years ago today my mother died. It really wasn't a surprise, how quick it happened possibly. Her health had been going and the last month rapidly.

My mom was one classy lady. And she taught all of us that class does not have financial roots. We were never rich by any standards, my parents worked hard and we lived modestly. But, she taught us to stand tall and meet the world full face. AND literally at that! I can remember her telling me to stand up straight, put my shoulders back, raise my head, swing my legs from the hip joint - all of these being good for your posture and skeletal health, but for your presentation and confidence.

I hear her words in my head, 'there's no sin in being poor, but there is no excuse to be dirty', 'don't even bother doing something if you're not going to do it right', 'do your best and everything will work out fine', 'be sure the memories you make are something you and the rocking chair can handle when it's just you and the rocking chair', 'if you behave one half as good as you look, you'll be fine'.

I've said all of these to my kids, plus some other more colorful anecdotes - Mom did have a way with words, especially if you frustrated her. I've always been overweight but she taught me how to dress in flattering styles and colors and would never allow me to be sloppy, be dirty, wear ill fitting tight clothes, or "roll like a slug" when I walked. And yes, those were her exact words!

She always believed we could do anything we set our minds to and she gently pushed until her dying day for each of us to strive a little harder. I find myself doing that with my kids, pushing, working, encouraging, and sometimes just listening. She was the smartest woman I ever knew and I'm so glad she was my mother.

There are big days in your life, the day you graduate, the day you get married, and the day your children are born. These are the good days. There are some big days not so good - those being the day your parents die, the day your marriage ends, and God help those you've had to live thru this one, the day a child dies.

I remember vividly the day my mother died, but more importantly, I remember the way she lived, the standard she set, and her determination and drive. I love you momma!

No comments: