Monday, June 16, 2008

It's takes a special man to be Daddy

Years ago, around 1980 or so, I bought a little wooden plaque at the Hallmark store on Church St. (near the L&C building) that said "Any man can be a father, it takes a special man to be a Daddy". On the plaque there were some assorted miniature tools - quite fitting for my Dad - and it was his Father's Day present that year.

I've still got that plaque - in the cedar chest where the things that have no other use but are too dear to my heart to do away with. I thought about it while watching the news last night and the piece on Barack Obama's address to the church in Chicago.

He said basically the same thing somewhere along these lines - any fool can be a father - the real courage is shown by staying and raising the child'. He was referring to the number of children whose "fathers are MIA" and he directly said it was especially in African American families.

I know he's right, he knows he is right and I hope that what he says is taken for what he meant it to be - a call to arms to stop this madness and move toward restoring family units and strengthening them. Bill Cosby said something very similar a few years back - about got himself lynched by his own race.

I'll vote for Obama - I am that much of a Democrat - and while I've been a Hillary girl for years - I will vote for Obama. Right now, it's looking like I may really like him by November.

No comments: