Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Keeping your Brain Working

The last post reminded me, I saw a report on Good Morning America about ways to keep your brain functioning, to challenge it, and hopefully delay or prevent Alzheimer's or dementia.

That may be my greatest fear in life right now, besides what will become of my son. I don't want to lose my mind and not know what's going on. I am a very large person, taking care of me if I have no clue what's going on will be impossible and I couldn't stand to put that burden on anyone.

Anyway, I'm sure you can review the report on the abc.news website but there was one thing on there I've tried and have to tell you about.

I am right handed, it said whichever hand you are, try doing stuff with the other one, especially brushing your teeth. I've taught myself to write decently with my left hand, but, brushing my teeth was a whole other experience. Awkward to say the least, but I could tell that my mind was really having to work at it. The pressure is all different and the up and down motions were backwards - it really was a chore but I got it done. For the next while until I get it mastered, I'm brushing with the left hand.

Then on to the next chore to try and keep my mind spinning in control!

No comments: